Saturday, October 20, 2012

New Design Identity



This is my new design logo, created in portfolio class for professional us. I decided to go with this design because I felt that it best represented me as a designer. I am a logical person who likes order and organization, and I'm very good at the technical side of things and have been able to grasp the programs I use fairly quickly. However, I'm also creative and enjoy creating designs that are colorful and engaging. The square shapes involved in the symbol represent my organizational personality, as well as my love for the technical side of design in that they are a reference the pixels that are the basis of everything that we see on screen as we're creating out designs. The colors represent creativity, and the progression was chosen with a warm color scheme in mind to feel engaging. The squares are also arranged in an abstracted combination of my initials, "dp."


My Process:

I began by sketching twenty variations of my previous logo in order to see if there was a good way to update it rather than throwing it out all together. It was a way of taking a fresh look at what I'd already made before moving past it. I then created twenty more sketches after that, and with these I concentrated more on brand new designs rather than variations of my old one. I especially focused in on logotypes.

My next step was to create 20 logo ideas in each of five logo categories (logotype, pictorial visual, abstract visual, initials, and combination). I did use some of my sketches from the last two sets of sketches, but many of them were made new.







From there I had to narrow it down to only a few that I could experiment with further. Of those that I chose out of the 100, I created digital renditions of eleven


I then chose my one favorite from those eleven and made twenty variations of it to further explore the possible logos using that design alone. Up to this point, I was switching between different names for my business and had not yet landed on one in particular. I moved between 'dp designs,' 'pearce design,' and 'David Pearce Design.'


After I created my twenty variations, I narrowed down those that I liked to about five favorites. After considering them for a while, and asking the advice of my peers I chose the one I felt best represented me.






My original color choices for the squares were done quickly to see how they would look colored, and I soon changed them so that they flowed together better. My font choices also went through quite a bit of experimentation before I settled on this. I knew that I wanted a clean, sans serif font but I was tired of seeing Century Gothic, Helvetica, and Futura. I ended up finding a free font that I liked a lot on Font Squirrel called Sansation. Though the name was odd, it looked more distinctive and unique from those previously mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment